- Dr. Shroff’s Charitable Eye Hospital
Dr. Shroff’s Charitable Eye Hospital
Dr. Shroff’s Charitable Eye Hospital
“To have a major impact on blindness and deafness eradication in India, especially among poor, by building an accessible, self-sufficient model institution, that has internationally approved performance standards, and is focused on quality, excellence and patient-care.”
Founded in 1926, Dr. Shroff's Charity Eye hospital is a non-commercial, non-profit trust setup enabling people from all sections of the society to receive quality eye care. SCEH has a strong 75-year old tradition of eye care, and more recently, ear, nose and throat care. The hospital has been known for both its high-quality as well as the compassionate treatment it has offered its patients.
The Eicher group started providing substantial assistance to this hospital in 1996, both in terms of funds and expertise. And gradually, this hospital started to emerge as one of the finest ophthalmic and ENT hospitals in Delhi owing to its international standards and adherence to hygiene and quality.
SCEH's long-term goal is to provide care approaching that of international standards for all patients, while at the same time increase the treatment of poor people at minimal or no cost, thereby becoming a true center of excellence. SCEH is now following a combination of the very successful models used by three outstanding Indian eye hospitals with international quality standards – L.V Prasad Eye Institute in Hyderabad, Sankara Nethralaya in Chennai, and Aravind Eye Hospitals in Madurai. During recent years, SCEH has expanded its services, which include:
- A new Vision Enhancement Centre, which provides vision-enhancing devices and advice to severely visually impaired or blind patients and for whom a little more can be done surgically or medically.
- A School Screening Programme wherein teachers in schools are given necessary training to identify the students who are having some visual impairment. These students are treated in SCEH and return to school with improved capacities.
- An aggressive Outreach Programme which connects people who need financial assistance and live in less accessible locations, and those who are poorly informed about the solutions of their unnecessary blindness. The main outreach is its satellite clinic in Alwar, Rajasthan. It has also introduced high-quality educational conferences, a Quality Assurance Programme, and an intensive medical and patient-focused skills enhancement agenda.
Over the years, SCEH has made tremendous strides towards excellence and is currently expanding and upgrading its services and reach.
- Four operating rooms with great support to provide aseptic facilities for surgeries
- Facilities to conduct vitreo-retina surgeries and cataract implants
- Completely modernized pathology laboratory
- Work in progress for setting up Microbiology and Histopathology Laboratories, along with an Eye Bank to facilitate Keratoplasties
- Library with the latest editions of reference books in Ophthalmology, ENT & Anaesthesia
- Reception and enquiry facilities
- A canteen for providing quality food to patients, their attendants, employees and visitors
- Round-the-clock Eye and ENT care
- Computerized storage of personal and other reference data of patients in the Medical Records Department
- In-house Medical Stores to supply drugs and other medical requirement to patients and wards
- Air-conditioned rooms, each with comforts such as color television, refrigerator and attached bathroom
- Day Care recovery room in which a patient can rest for a short time after surgery
- An Optical Shop with a wide range of high-quality spectacles and frames
- Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology, specially constructed under international specifications to keep the little ones occupied while they wait to see a doctor
- State-of-the-art Pediatric Ophthalmological equipment